Re: there is a way to deactivate type validation on 8.3.1???? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From erobles
Subject Re: there is a way to deactivate type validation on 8.3.1????
Date
List pgsql-general

On 05/28/2010 01:26 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 11:20 AM, erobles wrote:
>> hi!
>> only for ask, there is a way to deactivate type validation, so i can do
>>
>> select rtrim(number_field) from table ; with no error and the message:
>> "You might need to explicit type casts"
>>
>> this is postgres 8.3.1.
>>

> What are you trying to do? I am trying to think what rtrim does on a
> number.

you are right, i'm trying to make a rtrim to a number.
  the reason of my question is   we have a lot of apps   with similar
querys , when  we have postgres7.2 this  kind of querys just simply
execute very well, so.. when change to  postgres 8.3   this querys fail
beacuse they needit  an explicit cast.

one solution is change the querys of apps and recompile, but time  is
short and the deadline is near.

other solution is create a function to each  explicit cast, but   we
dont have  the time to   research if there  are more   mismatch querys.

so the easy way  is deactivate the validation type ...

so  another