Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation
Date
List pgsql-www
On 05/17/2010 10:21 AM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
> 2010/5/17 Rob Wultsch <wultsch@gmail.com>:
>> Howdy all,
>> I am  a MySQL DBA and very much like how the web based MySQL
>> documentation links to previous and future versions of the same page.
>> As an example on the documentation on the INSERT command for 5.1
>> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/insert.html) there are link on
>> the left hand side to the same document for version the 3.23/4.0/4.1,
>> 5.0. 5.4, and 5.5.
>>
>> I find the lack of this feature on the Postgres web site slightly
>> annoying and would be willing to help implement it. I was thinking
>> that it could fit in well with the breadcrumbs at the top.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> linking between docs of each stable versions like proposed seems
> interesting for me.

what would you do for stuff that is completely rearranged or
removed/added in newer/older versions? The problem is that you could
only do that on a rough approximation by postprocessing the generated
docs and if you really wanted to make it "complete" you might have to
change the SGML source.

Stefan