Re: Encoding issue with pgAdmin - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: Encoding issue with pgAdmin
Date
List pgsql-novice
Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a remote db host that runs PG 8.4.x DBs in UNICODE german.
> I connect with pgAdmin from Win-XP and everything is nice as long as I
> look into tables or the nontranslated DDL stuff that pgAdmin creates.
>
> The translated error messages e.g. in the logfile show weired
> characters, though.
> Obviously the PG server sends UTF-8 and the client doesn't understand.
>
> The DBs are UNICODE so the client-encoding defaults to UNICODE, too.
> pgAdmin uses Tahoma with Widows-1252 encoding but I can't find a switch
> to set it to Unicode.
>

> What to do ?

Andreas, what you are looking at is not an encoding, it's a font option.
Use some German font in there, the characters should be fine. The
PgAdminIII on MS-Windows is using the system encoding. Viel Gluck.

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA