Re: database Benchmark, TPC, PostgreSQL and TPC-E - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: database Benchmark, TPC, PostgreSQL and TPC-E
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/5/2010 2:56 AM, williamkidd@libero.it wrote:
> Looking for database benchmarks I fell into the Transaction Processing
> Performance Council
>
> Some questions on it.
>
> are there somewhere some results of TPC-* benchmarks for PostgreSQL?
> Are there reliable database tests? There are open source implementation?
> There are other benchmarks that would be worth to consider to use, or
> implement?
> Looking on the TPC-E 1.10.0 specification history I saw that Enterprise DB has
> quitted the membership list (14 march 2008)
>   What does it mean for PostgreSQL?
>
> thank you
>
> Davide

I think TPC is a measure of how much money a company will spend to be
listed as #1.  I doubt you'll find PG because you have to pay mucho $$$
to setup/run/publish TPC results.

Really, though, the best benchmark you can run, is your own workload.
Different benchmarks are setup to test different things.  Your workload
may resemble one of them closely, in which case you are in luck... but
otherwise those benchmarks wont tell you much about your own workload.

There is a lot of talk about benchmarks in the mailing lists... I've not
read this one, but seems to match:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general@postgresql.org/msg128869.html

-Andy