Re: failed assertion and panic in standby mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: failed assertion and panic in standby mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> i was trying recent HS and get this when trying to start the standby,
> actually i was expecting a crash because i use full_page_writes=off
> and i guess it won't work.
> Maybe we could say full_page_writes=off and wal_level=hot_standby are
> conflicting and avoid such setup?

It's supposed to work.

> PANIC:  btree_redo: unknown op code 208
> CONTEXT:  xlog redo UNKNOWN

Hmm, I see a bug in btree_redo handling of XLOG_BTREE_REUSE_PAGE. If hot
standby is not enabled in the standby, it chokes on that record type.
It's missing from btree_desc too.

Fixed.

This demonstrates that there really has been little testing of warm
standby with hot standby disabled :-).