Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
In response to Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Responses Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> IOW I think that the requirement in pg_start_backup shouldn't be relaxed
> without some more thought/work.

Yeah, I was talking to Bruce about that this AM, and it seems like a
feature we *need* to have ... for 9.1.

I'm sufficiently concerned about the amount of flux HS/SR is in right
now that I'd like to declare it "good enough" and move towards release.Otherwise we'll tinker with it forever and there
willbe no 9.0.

"Release early, release often" *is* the OSS mantra, after all.  The
question now isn't "Is binary replication perfect" but "is it *good
enough* for some substantial portion of our users".   And I think the
answer to the latter question is, at this point, yes.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com