Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation" - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alexandre Leclerc
Subject Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation"
Date
List pgsql-admin
Le 2010-04-16 15:20, Scott Marlowe a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Alexandre Leclerc<aleclerc@ipso.ca>  wrote:

>>> You're not running out of disk space where that writes, are you?
>>>

>> There is 32 GB free.

>>> Wait -- are you saying you're running two postgres instances against
>>> the same data directory at the same time?  (I sure hope not.)
>>>

>> I did. :( Shame on me. I just realised while reading doc on postgres that it
>> is not made for that but only for a single instance at the time. I hope I
>> did not break anything.
>>
> You've almost certainly corrupted the data store.  This is why you
> should always make a complete file system backup with the postmaster
> stopped before you start doing rescue work.

Hi Scott and Kevin,

Thank you for these comments. But I'm learning the hard way right now
since all this has already been done. I appreaciate the suggestions of
Kevin on the terminology (since I'm not a native English speaking guy)
and complementing the help. I can assure that it would have been clear
if worded like that, for me at least.

Hopefully, our customer is supposed to have a full file backup from the
evening. So they would have loose only 3 hours of work in that respect.
So the plan is that after the vacuum if the DB is not working well, we
start from the backup, 3 hours before the problem, and we run a VACUUM
using pgAdmin with the normal postmaster during the weekend.

Again, thank you very much for all your time and help. It really is
helping and supportive for me (even if I'm making mistakes).

Best regards,

--
Alexandre Leclerc