Re: Migrating from 8.3 to 8.4 on the same server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Lewis Kapell
Subject Re: Migrating from 8.3 to 8.4 on the same server
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 4/14/2010 5:11 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> If it wouldn't kill you, I'd suck up the time. All other solutions
> are going to take additional expertise, prep, and testing.
>
> Keep in mind that if you have tables and/or databases that don't
> change frequently, you can dump those beforehand to minimize
> the final downtime.

That's true, I had thought about that also.  I guess I would save the
contents of the biggest tables to flat files using the COPY command,
then delete the copied rows, before doing the dump.  Is what what you
had in mind?

Lewis