Re: Migrating from 8.3 to 8.4 on the same server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Lewis Kapell
Subject Re: Migrating from 8.3 to 8.4 on the same server
Date
Re: Migrating from 8.3 to 8.4 on the same server  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-admin
The database is about 12gb, the dump file is about 8gb.

I tested dump/restore into 8.4 on our test server, and it took an hour.
  This is a virtualized server, but my sysadmin thinks the performance
on our live server (not virtual) would be comparable.

It wouldn't kill us to have two or three hours of down time, but I would
like to avoid it.

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell
Computer Operations