Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2010, at 5:08 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> Something is wrong with this mailing list.
>
> In the week and a half that I've been subscribed to this mailing
> list, there have been several times that I received a reply to a
> message without receiving the original message. In most cases, I
> received the original message a few minutes to a few hours later.

I've seen that sometimes, too.  It's usually preceded by an eerie
"calm" without many (or any) messages.  I don't know whether the
bottleneck is on our end (the emails go through many anti-spam
filters before they reach me, and I know they sometimes fall
behind).

The other issue which has caused me to see replies to messages I
missed is that some of the posters here are going through SMTP
servers on networks segments which have been blacklisted as sources
of spam.  Since I have things configured to not send me duplicates
when the post is to me and a list (or to multiple lists), if a
blacklisted user copies me directly I don't get anything. When I
identify such a user I let them know and get them whitelisted on my
end, but that's hit or miss.

-Kevin