Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig James
Subject Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load
Date
Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-performance
On 4/7/10 5:47 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM, David Rees<drees76@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> max_fsm_pages = 16000000
>>> max_fsm_relations = 625000
>>> synchronous_commit = off
>>
>> You are playing with fire here.  You should never turn this off unless
>> you do not care if your data becomes irrecoverably corrupted.
>
> That is not correct.  Turning off synchronous_commit is sensible if
> you don't mind losing the last few transactions on a crash.  What will
> corrupt your database is if you turn off fsync.

A bit off the original topic, but ...

I set it this way because I was advised that with a battery-backed RAID controller, this was a safe setting.  Is that
notthe case?

Craig