Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition
Date
List pgsql-general
On 31/03/2010 10:27 PM, Joshua Berry wrote:
> My vote would be to follow Craig Ringer's advice to run the pg server in
> a virtual machine. I'd choose something like vmware/fusion or if you
> want license free options, I think they exist that can run hosts on
> win32 and BSD/MacOS.
>
> But if you wanted to avoid dual booting altogether and
> parallels/fusion/whatever can run you win32 apps well enough, I'd run
> the server on the Mac side and let the win apps connect to it via the
> virtual network adapters. This is how I've run things on my Mac with
> decent results.

Yeah. Not having Pg in a VM is better, given the choice. It's hard to
say how trustworthy fsync() behaviour on various VMs is, for one thing.
I'd still use a VM over ntfs-on-mac or hfs+-on-windows, but running it
natively and using it over tcp/ip is always going to be preferable if
you can.

--
Craig Ringer