Re: Warm Standby Setup Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Warm Standby Setup Documentation
Date
Re: Warm Standby Setup Documentation  (Bryan Murphy <bmurphy1976@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Bryan Murphy wrote:
> The one thing you should be aware of is that when you fail over, your
> spare has no spares.  I have not found a way around this problem yet.
> So, when you fail over, there is a window where you have no backups
> while you're building the new spares.  This can be pretty nerve
> wracking if your database is like ours and it takes 3-6 hours to bring
> a new spare online from scratch.

If there's another server around, you can have your archive_command on
the master ship to two systems, then use the second one as a way to
jump-start this whole process.  After fail-over, just start shipping
from the new primary to that 3rd server, now the replacement standby,
and sync any files it doesn't have.  Then switch it into recovery.  Much
faster than doing a new base backup from the standby on larger systems.