Re: 9.0 release notes done - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 9.0 release notes done
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Uh why?  Open the file with a text editor, cut and paste the lines
> elsewhere.

... because even one edit by anyone else is a merge conflict.  And CVS
isn't too good with merge conflicts.  Also few of the people whom I'd
want to ask for help are committers -- the release notes are as much
about advocacy as they are about code.

If I can use git, it's quite a bit better.  Thing is, if I start a git
branch for this, are we going to be able to merge it back to the main repo?

>> (2) Seeing my edits.  There's no edit-->view-->edit cycle with the SGML,
>> and it's really hard to check grammar and languge ... let alone compare
>> stuff to the alphas ... in raw SGML.
>
> Are you having trouble building the docs?

Of course.  I'm mostly on a Mac.  It's several minutes every time I make
doc.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com