Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund escribió:
>

>> I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
>> constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
>> small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.
>>

> Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.

That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
doing them in succession.  I work often with time-oriented apps that
have heavy "give me every record between <a> and <b>" components to
them, and good sequential index performance can be an important
requirement for that kind of application.