Re: Sorting performance vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: Sorting performance vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Yang Zhang <yanghatespam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have the exact same table of data in both MySQL and Postgresql. In Postgresql:
>>

> Just wondering, are these on the same exact machine?

Just reading up on this interesting thread. WFIW, 2 years ago I and a
collegue of mine did a hardware comparison of early Intel and AMD
desktop quadcore processors to run postgres database, with most other
parts comparable. The intel processor was 20 to 30 % faster in cpu
operations to the (first generation) Phenom at almost everything, except
at index creation. The test that the AMD finished in a few minutes, we
had to stop on the Intel because it simply didn't finish. We double
checked configuration settings and could not find explainable
differences. I hesitate to post this information here, because its hard
to believe that an actual big difference between the processors exists,
and it more likely was something in our test setup. Still: the
difference was *only* in index creation, which is kindoff like a qsort yes?

egards
Yeb Havinga