Re: Time travel on the buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Time travel on the buildfarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> It is currently 22:21:59 EST here.  At 21:50 I committed a fix to
> copydir.c that cleaned up a couple of thinkos by Greg, including
> a misspelling that had been making all the builds fail for several
> hours.  I went to see if any of the buildfarm had gone green yet,
> and indeed half a dozen members had --- but they are all claiming
> to be using snapshots between 00:44:53 and 00:51:20 old.  Unless
> the cvs mirror can see into the future, that's a lie.  I'm not
> sure how the ages on the buildfarm show_status.pl page are generated,
> but I'm betting somebody's local clock is off.

Thanks for the report.

The buildfarm server is currently reporting a time 25 minutes too fast.
I have previously discussed with the server administrators the necessity
of running an NTP daemon on the machine, but I will do so again.

This is one area where git (or almost anything but CVS) would server us
better. With git or even Subversion, we would report the tree version as
well as the timestamp.

cheers

andrew