Re: System overload / context switching / oom, 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rob
Subject Re: System overload / context switching / oom, 8.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Rob <rclemley@yahoo.com> wrote:
postgresql.conf:
max_connections = 1100
work_mem = 32MB
32MB * 1000 = 32,000MB...  And that's if you max out connections and
they each only do 1 sort.  If you're running many queries that run > 1
sorts it'll happen a lot sooner.

Either drop max connections or work_mem is what I'd do to start with.
If you have one or two reporting apps that need it higher, then set it
higher for just those connections / users

Thanks much.  So does dropping work_mem to the default of 1MB sound good?

By moving databases around we're getting max_connections below 600 or 700.