Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Augment WAL records for btree delete with GetOldestXmin() to - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Augment WAL records for btree delete with GetOldestXmin() to
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 14:07 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>> The commit is a one line change, with parameter to control it, discussed
>>> by Heikki and myself in December 2008. I stand by the accuracy of the
>>> change; the parameter is really to ensure we can test during beta.
>> Well, I was waiting to see if anyone else had an opinion, but: my
>> opinion is that a GUC is not appropriate here.  Either test it yourself
>> enough to be sure it's a win, or don't put it in.
>
> I will remove the parameter then, keeping the augmentation. That OK?

Well how much is the actual hit with this on the master for different
workloads do we have realistic numbers on that? Also how much of an
actual win is it in the other direction - as in under what circumstances
and workloads does it help in avoiding superflous cancelations on the
standby?

Stefan