Re: dynamic crosstab - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre Chevalier
Subject Re: dynamic crosstab
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Some time ago, it was written here:
> I think there should be a generic way in Postgres to return from an
> EAV model. Although I have no evidence on that I keep thinking that
> the db must be more effective at that than the application would be.
>
> Yes, thanks.
> The problem with those function is that they all have an AS (columname
> type,...) part or equivalent.

SWK, I fully understand your needs, and your (our) kind of frustration...

I am in a similar situation, with an EAV table, and the need to do
crosstab queries, without knowing in advance which columns the query
should return, and how many columns.
This is for chemical analysis results; laboratories store their results
in an EAV way, and it is definitely a good choice, for a large number of
reasons.

On your side, have you found a decent solution?
Has anyone got an answer?

I am just about to try this one:
http://www.ledscripts.com/tech/article/view/5.html
<http://www.ledscripts.com/tech/article/view/5.ht=>

But I don't like this style too much: the crosstab approach seems more
"natural" to me. I may be totally wrong.

So if there is a crosstab thing working in a generic way, that would be
just super!

A+
Pierre