Re: Postgres Host - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Postgres Host
Date
List pgsql-general
S Arvind wrote:

> > There is a list of hosts available on the PostgreSQL site:
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting
> most of the site provided there r not have postgres,.. i think its
> better to clear up the links in that page...

Any suggestions about inaccurate info there would be appreciated.  I
know for sure that you can get inexpensive PostgreSQL hosting from two
of the US companies listed there:  hub.org provides shared hosts via
FreeBSD jails, and A2 hosting has a variety of Linux-based offerings.

The whole "cloud" thing is more trouble than its worth IMHO for a lot of
these situations, given how inexpensive these more permanent installs
are.  Seems like I'm always fighting to persist my data properly in any
cloud deployment.  The main upside as I see for that work is that you
end up with easy to replicate installs for scaling applications out, but
if it's only a single server you're targeting I feel like the cloud
setup overhead just isn't worth it in most cases.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com