Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Alastair "Bell" Turner wrote:
> If this option is designed to help people's transition - basically to
> get to them before they've got to most of the manual - having to turn
> it on will be pointless. It needs to be active by default.

My problem with this whole idea is that it seems to be very
MySQL-specific. Why aren't we providing help for users migrating from
Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Ingres, DB2, SQLServer and Firebird, to name
but a few? And if we turn all those on by default, we'll have a pretty
horrible banner when starting psql.

cheers

andrew