Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 05:22, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
>> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>>> I would love to follow what Strawberry Perl has done to solve this problem. In 2.0.
>> +1.   They did a nice job.
>
> For those of us who have no idea what Strawberry Perl did (other than
> not shipping Microsoft compatible libraries, and is thus useless for
> PostgreSQL), could someone explain it?

As far as I can tell they shipped the minimal set of tools that they needed
to build extensions rather than distribute binaries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Perl
I don't know the details, but it works smoothly for them.