Re: pg_connect takes 3.0 seconds - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: pg_connect takes 3.0 seconds
Date
Re: pg_connect takes 3.0 seconds  (Dmitri Girski <mitek17@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On 1/4/2010 8:12 PM, Dmitri Girski wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am running a PostgreSQL server 8.3.5 with a pretty much standard config.
>
> The web application server which runs Apache 1.3/PHP2.9  has an
> intermittent problem:
> pg_connect takes exactly 3.0 seconds. The usual connection time is 0.0045.
> The long request happens at approximate rate 1:100.
>
> I turned on logs on postgres server side, and there is
> nothing suspicious for me there. When a connection request comes, it is
> being served without any delay.
>
> Could anyone point me to the direction in which I should investigate
> this problem further?
> Thank you in advance!
>

> PS The hardware is: Dell SC1435/4Gb/2x2.0GHz/Gentoo Linux.
> The database & web servers are in the 2 local subnets.
>

> Dmitri.

How do you have the connect string?  With an IP or a name?  Maybe its a
DNS lookup timeout?  You could switch to IP or drop the name in the
hosts file and see if that makes a difference.

-Andy