Re: libpq naming on Win64 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: libpq naming on Win64
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/01/2010 6:52 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> There is likely to be a long period where many Windows packages for
> PostgreSQL are 32 bit only. Due to the way Windows searches for DLLs,
> Windows installations of PostgreSQL tend to install libpq.dll into the
> bin/ directory of the installation. This will cause obvious problems
> with 32 bit packages like pgAdmin which are currently included in that
> directory in most installers, to avoid the need to have multiple
> copies of DLLs around.
>
> After chatting with Magnus, we feel that a good solution would be to
> rename libpq on Win64 to libpq64.dll to distinguish it from the 32 bit
> equivalent.

+1 from me. I've had to deal with a few DLLs that may come in either 32-
or 64-bit flavours with the same name, and it's absolutely awful. It
makes debug- and non-debug DLLs with the same names look fun in comparison.

> It would also be a nice touch to have the 64 bit MSVC build system
> create both the 64 and 32 bit libraries. That would make it much
> easier for those of us that need to combine 32 and 64 bit packages
> together, saving the pain of building 32 and 64 bit separately.

Are there plans to move to building with VC++ 2008 at the same time? I'd
be somewhat concerned about building and shipping libp64 with VC++ 2005.

--
Craig Ringer