Re: SATA drives performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: SATA drives performance
Date
Re: SATA drives performance  (Richard Neill <rn214@cam.ac.uk>)
List pgsql-performance
Richard Neill wrote:
> 3. RAID 0 is twice as unreliable as no raid. I'd recommend using RAID 1
> intead. If you use the Linux software mdraid, remote admin is easy.

The main thing to be wary of with Linux software RAID-1 is that you
configure things so that both drives are capable of booting the system.
It's easy to mirror the data, but not the boot loader and the like.

> 7. If you have 3 equal disks, try doing some experiments. My inclination
> would be to set them all up with ext4...

I have yet to yet a single positive thing about using ext4 for
PostgreSQL.  Stick with ext3, where the problems you might run into are
at least well understood and performance is predictable.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com