Re: FSM - per database or per installation? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: FSM - per database or per installation?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 20/11/2009 2:33 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Craig James wrote:
>> Are the FSM parameters for each database, or the entire Postgres
>> system?  In other words, if I have 100 databases, do I need to increase
>> max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations by a factor of 100, or keep them the
>> same as if I just have one database?
>>
>> I suspect they're per-database, i.e. as I add databases, I don't have to
>> increase the FSM parameters, but the documentation isn't 100% clear on
>> this point.
>
> It's per cluster, ie *not* per-database.
>
> The parameter is gone in 8.4, BTW.

See:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html#AEN95067

for why they've been removed, which boils down to "PostgreSQL manages
the fsm automatically now and no longer requires all that RAM to do it,
either".

Thanks Heikki - the fsm _really_ simplify admin and remove a bunch of
common gotchas for Pg users.

--
Craig Ringer