Re: Closing out CommitFest 2009-11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Closing out CommitFest 2009-11
Date
Re: Closing out CommitFest 2009-11  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:603c8f070912151012n60e8b963t69ef79577114d505@mail.gmail.com" type="cite"><pre
wrap="">OnTue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Greg Smith <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

I get the impression there is still some discussion that needs to
happen about the design of this.  I think we should mark it Returned
with Feedback for now, and let whoever ends up working on it resubmit
whatever ends up getting agreed on. </pre></blockquote> Given that some of the issues here intertwine with Hot Standby
integration,Simon has already said he'll work on getting this committed, executing on the plan outlined at <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1260843982.1955.3436.camel@ebony">http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1260843982.1955.3436.camel@ebony</a><br
/><br/> I just pinged him, and even the first useful step there isn't going to wrap up in time for this CommitFest and
thereforealpha3.  Accordingly, this one is going to stay in "ready for committer" but slip past stamping the end of
thisCF.  I've marked him as the committer there and bounced it forward to the next CF.<br /><br /> Simon is still
burningthe midnight oil to get us a version of HS that can be committed, the hope is that it's ready to go tomorrow.  I
thinkthe best we can do here is to block and/or document any known limitations/bugs, so long as the feature works for
almostall use cases it seems worth including now.  Given that there's a working VF rewrite patch that just needs final
integrationand testing, it seems reasonable to me to commit HS with a warning that VF still has open issues when
combinedwith that feature.  Then everyone can continue to work through removing any reason you'd need the problematic
formof VF anyway, so that the caveat turns into a non-issue.  I'm more concerned about making sure we get plenty of
testingin on HS *alone* to make sure there aren't any non-HS regressions introduced by its changes, before that gets
evenmore complicated by adding SR on top of it.<br /><br /> As for the tsearch improvements, not to trivialize the
patch,but I think this one will survive being committed between alpha3 & CF 2010-01 if it doesn't make it in this
week. Teodor can work on getting that committed when he has time, I don't think we need to wait for it.<br /><br />
Soundslike we just are waiting for Simon to finish up, which is expected to happen by tomorrow, and for Tom to wrap up
workingon the ProcessUtility_hook.  That makes the first reasonable date to consider alpha3 packaging Thursday 12/17 I
think.<br/><pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:greg@2ndQuadrant.com">greg@2ndQuadrant.com</a>  <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com">www.2ndQuadrant.com</a>

</pre>