Re: Hot standby, recent changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Hot standby, recent changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 17:26 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, this doesn't seem particularly unlikely or
>> unusual to me.
>
> I don't know many people who shutdown both nodes of a highly available
> application at the same time. If they did, I wouldn't expect them to
> complain they couldn't run queries on the standby when an two obvious
> and simple workarounds exist to allow them to access their data: start
> the master again, or make the standby switchover, both of which are part
> of standard operating procedures.

It might not be common or expected in a typical HA installation, but it
would be a very strange limitation in my mind. It might well happen e.g
in a standby used for reporting, or when you do PITR.

> It doesn't seem very high up the list of additional features, at least.

Well, it's in the patch now. I'm just asking you to not break it.