Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:23576.1259705665@sss.pgh.pa.us" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Greg Smith <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:greg@2ndquadrant.com"><greg@2ndquadrant.com></a> writes:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">What I was trying to suggest was that right now, there are situations

where a new deployment on 8.1 is still completely reasonable and
possible to justify in the Enterprise Linux space, whereas I don't know
of any situation where 7.4/8.0 can be similarly defended as a good
Okay, but how much of the argument for that hinges on it being the only
thing Red Hat will support on RHEL5? </pre></blockquote> Sure, at some point in 2010, we may reach a point where it
wouldbe ill advised to build a new system using RHEL5/PG8.1.  I was suggesting more that there are completely
reasonablereasons to deploy 8.1 even right now in 2009, and people are doing so.  That gives the release a lot more
futurethan 7.4 and 8.0, which anyone sensible gave up on a while ago.  I'm all for dropping those older ones, but I
don'tthink getting more aggressive than that and bundling 8.1 in while you're at it is so wise.<br /><br /><pre
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:greg@2ndQuadrant.com">greg@2ndQuadrant.com</a>  <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com">www.2ndQuadrant.com</a>

</pre>