Re: RAID card recommendation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Schnabel
Subject Re: RAID card recommendation
Date
List pgsql-performance
wrap="">Tuesday,November 24, 2009, 10:34:00 PM you wrote:

(within reason) including our preference here, Areca.  Perhaps you
I knew Areca only for their internal arrays (which one of our customers
uses for his 19" systems), but did not know they manufacture their own
Adaptec5445Z on my new server (don't have Postgre running on it) and have been happy with it.  For storage on my
serversI use <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_enclosures/scsase16.asp">http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_enclosures/scsase16.asp</a>
whichhas an Areca ARC-8020 expander in it. With the 5445Z I use the 4 internal ports for a fast RAID0 "working array"
with450G Seagate 15k6 drives and the external goes to the 16 drive enclosure through the expander.  With 16 drives you
havea lot of possibilities for configuring arrays.  I have another server with an Adaptec 52445 (don't have Postgre
runningon it either) connected to two of the 16 drive enclosures and am happy with it.  I'm running Postgre on my
workstationthat has an Adaptec 52445 hooked up to two EnhanceBox-E8MS (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/desktop/E8_Series.html">http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/desktop/E8_Series.html</a>).
Ihave 8 ST373455SS drives in my tower and 8 in the EnhanceBox so my database is running off 16 drives in RAID5.
Everyonecomplains about RAID5 but it works for me in my situation.  Very very rarely am I waiting on the disks when
runningqueries. The other EnhanceBox has 8 ST31000640SS drives in RAID5 just for backup images.  All 24 drives run off
the52445 and again, I've been satisfied with it.  I've also been happy with the Enhance Technology products.  Sorry for
beingso long but just wanted to put a plug in for the Adaptec cards and let you know about the external options.  The 5
seriescards are a huge improvement over the 3 series. I had a 3805 and wasn't that impressed.  It's actually sitting on