Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
cb <cb@mythtech.net> writes:
Ugh, yeah, I'd love to upgrade but the powers that get to make that
decision have no interest in upgrading. So I'm stuck on 8.0.4,
Make sure you're not in the line of fire when (not if) that version
eats your data.  Particularly on Windows, insisting on not upgrading
that version is unbelievably, irresponsibly stupid.  There are a
*large* number of known bugs.
Yeah, the prudent thing to do in your situation is to issue a CYA memo that says something like "I think the hardware is OK, but due to large number of bugs in PostgreSQL 8.0.4 on Windows it's easy for the database to become corrupted anyway", point toward http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release.html to support that claim and note that 8.0.22 is the absolutely minimum version anyone should be running, then CC everyone up the management chain.  You're using a version that considers your data quite tasty and would like to make a snack of it at the first opportunity that arises.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com