Re: Postgres Clustering Options - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Postgres Clustering Options
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce wrote:
> presumably you'd manage this with classic cluster managemetn software
> (veritas cluster, sun cluster, redhat cluster, heartbeat, or whatever
> is appropriate to your environment.
I've seen or heard of successful implementations like this done with
Veritas, Sun, RedHat, and Linux HA.  This topic is actually addressed
briefly at both http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/faq and
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/allfaq.do ; Sun even mentions
PostgreSQL support as a specific strength of their product at
http://blogs.sun.com/SC/entry/migrating_from_veritas_cluster_server

I think you don't hear about this much here because the sort of
companies who have the cash for this style of deployment are hiring
commercial vendors and private consultants under NDA rather than relying
on the PostgreSQL community.  That's why I can't say more about the one
project like this I did, that featured a shared SAN and commercial
cluster software.

--
Greg Smith    greg@2ndQuadrant.com    Baltimore, MD