auditing pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JP Fletcher
Subject auditing pg_hba.conf
Date
Re: auditing pg_hba.conf  (Christophe <christophe@kryskool.org>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We manage hundreds of clusters and a handful of distinct pg_hba.conf
files across several sites.  We are mostly satisfied with our automated
method of management, but on occasion, someone will hand edit a
pg_hba.conf file, and some application will get locked out.  This a bad.
  We'd like to be able to do a few things related to auditing pg_hba.conf:

1.  Store a copy of pg_hba.conf on server start or reload

2.  Have an audit trail that shows when particular rules were loaded.

3.  Compare the contents of pg_hba.conf to the rules that are actually
loaded.

4.  Alert the DBA when the rules loaded differ from the file that was
previously loaded.

We can accomplish #1 and #2 by having a shell command copy the file, or
by storing rules in a db table.  I'm not sure that #3 and #4 are
possible until we accomplish #1.  I'm not aware of any function or
catalog table/view that stores pg_hba rules.  I'm curious to know if
anyone has any suggestions, or has solved a similar problem.

Best Regards,

JP

--
JP Fletcher