Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> ...The main reason I'm in favor of this is that we have a lot of users
> using 7.4 out of inertia, and they need a message that 7.4 is "not
> supported" to get them to upgrade.
I'm not entirely sure that inertia is the culprit. From what I've seen,
since 7.4 is a good, stable release, checking/fixing everything required
for an upgrade (casting, time-calculation changes, administrative
procedures, perhaps switching from C to UTF8, client-deployment planning
and so on) combined with risks of the unknown and 24x7 availability
requirements makes the required expenditure a tough sell - especially in
a "lean and mean" economy. I suspect 7.4 will remain in somewhat
widespread use for quite some time after EOL.

EOL _does_, however, give IT some powerful ammo to use to in persuading
management to devote the required resources to an upgrade.

Cheers,
Steve