Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 2009/11/3 Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>:
>>
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> We had a discussion back in July about our maintenance policy and the
>>> upshot of that discussion was that there were relatively few
>>> objections to dropping support for 7.4 - I believe Andrew Dunstan was
>>> the only one who spoke against it, and it wasn't clear how strenuous
>>> his objections were - but there were objections even to setting an
>>> end-of-life date for any subsequent release.  However, we never really
>>> took any action based on that conversation.  Maybe it's time?
>>>
>> I don't object to EOLing 7.4, although I have a certain nostalgia for it ... it's the first release that contains
anythingof mine in it ;-)

>> What I want is a proper process for declaring an EOL, though. In particular, we should announce it loudly and well
inadvance (by which I mean several months). The PR team should swing into action with a press release along the lines
of"PostgreSQL release version n.n. will reach the end of its maintenance life on yyyy-mm-dd. No patches of any kind
willbe made after that date. Users of this version are advised to start planning now to upgrade to a more modern
version."

> Didn't we discuss EOLing based on <number of previous versions>? As in
> if we now announced that 7.4 would EOL when we release 8.5?
>
> (Though based on previous track record, that means it really should've
> been EOLed when we released 8.4, I guess)

Indeed I recall that at least once the plan was to EOL 7.4 with the
release of 8.4(or rather keeping a max of 5 active release branches) but
I guess we kinda forgot about that :)

Stefan