Re: Parsing config files in a directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 12:31 +0000, Thom Brown wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/29 Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>:
>>

>>> Why not allow something like += or .= instead of the = to denote appending
>>> to a list?
>>>
>>>   custom_variable_classes += 'x'
>>>
>>> seems a whole lot nicer to me.
>>>

>> I would see that as making the config more programatic so while that
>> might not look too weird to a developer, it could be confusing for a
>> DBA or system administrator.  I don't think that's how config files
>> should work, and it also adds gotchas like the following.
>>

> The DBAs I know would think we were absolutely off our rocker for such a
> thing. At least it would make great humor at presentations.

The whole config file is a joke. We'd never do it the way we do if we
were designing it from scratch, but we seem to be incapable of biting
the bullet and replacing it with something sane, which is why I have
ignored most of the current debate.

cheers

andrew