The row size limit - HELP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Esa Pikkarainen
Subject The row size limit - HELP
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
(Sorry if this topic is already discussed too many times...)

I am porting a discussion forum database from Access to Postgresql.
(see: http://wwwedu.oulu.fi/dialogue)
Now I am facing the problem of only 8K row limit.
The main table contains the messages and it has some 16 columns. Most
of them are short but the proper message body column is quite large.
I just checked and the average length is 9K and longest are about 25-
26K.

Now (according to faq) there seems to be four possibilities open:

1) wait for version 7.1. How long that will take???

2) configure row limit to 32K. Is this a complicated process?? Side
effects?? After all even then size could be not enough!!

3) use "large object interface": This is most interesting! But what
it means??? where I can find more practical information about this???

4) save message bodies as files. There are 1655 rows now, so I am not
very interested in this possibility...

Thank you, I am very happy if you can give me some hints and
especially advice in the 3th alternative.
Esa Pikkarainen