Re: Databases vs Schemas - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ben Chobot
Subject Re: Databases vs Schemas
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Otis wrote:

> I am seeking advice on what the best setup for the following would be.
>

> My company provides a hosted web calendaring solution for school
> districts.  For each school district we have a separate database.
> Each database has 57 tables.

> Over the next couple of months we will be creating an instance of our
> solution for each public school district in the US which is around
> 18,000.

Why are you trying to keep all this information on one server? It seems
like you have such perfectly independent silos of data, why not take the
opportunity to scale out horizontally? It's usually a lot cheaper to buy
4 machines of power x than one machine of power (4x).