Re: How useful is the money datatype? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: How useful is the money datatype?
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> Christophe Pettus wrote:
>>> Is that not NUMERIC?
>> No, that is not NUMERIC.  All numeric types are stored as binary
>> representations.  Packed decimal is not.  Perhaps an example would
>> clarify.  The number 1234 would be represented as follows:
>
> I think you are wrong.  The Postgres documentation say:

You are correct, I am wrong, as private emails also pointed out.  I
should read more carefully.  This list is rapidly self-correcting ;).
Thanks.

The IBM implementation provided language libraries (usually COBOL) that
also supported packed decimal, so precision was maintained throughout
the entire application stack.

--
Guy Rouillier