Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/02/2009 01:20 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I know I'm in the minority here, but I _always_ compile postgresql
> myself directly from official sources.  It's easy enough and you never
> know when you have to do an emergency patch or cassert build, etc.

+1

I decided to do this as soon as I figured out that configuration options
(such as how datetime is stored - float vs integer) could change from
release to release. I much prefer to keep a stable PostgreSQL, and
upgrade the OS underneath it. It's been several years with this model,
and it's always been very simple to maintain. I recently documented the
instructions for another team and they fit within about 10 lines that
could be cut + pasted.

Cheers,
mark

--