Re: Hierarchical queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Rawnsley
Subject Re: Hierarchical queries
Date
List pgsql-general
There's a patch to mimic Oracle's CONNECT BY queries. You can get it
at the Postgres Cookbook site:

http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/cookbook.

(although it seems to be down at the moment...)

On Jan 9, 2004, at 2:05 PM, Anton.Nikiforov@loteco.ru wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> Does someone know how to build hierarchical queries to the postgresql?
>
> I have a table with tree in it (id, parent)
> and need to find a way from any point of the tree to any other point.
> And i would like to have a list of all steps from point A to point B
> to make some changes on each step (this is required by the algorythm).
>
> Here is an example:
> treetable (where tree is stored):
> id        parent   data
> int4      int4     varchar(255)
> 0         0        root
> 1         0        root's chield 1
> 2         0        root's chield 2
> 3         1        root's chield 1 chield 1
> 4         1        root's chield 1 chield 2
> 5         2        root's chield 2 chield 1
> 6         2        root's chield 2 chield 2
>
> And i want to get something like this:
> start point "root's chield 2 chield 2"
> finish "root's chield 1 chield 1"
>
> And the result i need:
> id        parent   data
> 6         2        root's chield 2 chield 2
> 2         0        root's chield 2
> 0         0        root
> 1         0        root's chield 1
> 4         1        root's chield 1 chield 2
>
> i know that it is possible in Oracle but what about postgres?
>
> Best regards,
> Anton Nikiforov

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com