Re: Adding \ev view editor? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Adding \ev view editor?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> That's not what I had in mind by "decoupling" the option's effects.
>>>

>> Well, regardless of that it does what I want, and with a fairly small
>> amount of code.
>>

> Well, yeah, because you are paying no mind to what anyone else might
> want.

Umm, no. I have listened but it's not clear what people want. I don't
hear too many people actually defending the status quo. Any viewdef with
any substantial number of columns is just about unreadable.

>> I can make it work only in the pretty print case, if that's your objection.
>>

> I think that's back where we started in this thread.  I can live with
> it, but I thought some other people were unhappy with the idea of many
> lines of targetlist...

Well, some were yes, but nobody actually came up with anything better.
IIRC the code I tried (in response to what people said) that limited
newlines by only wrapping lines at some limit got more objections than
my original proposal. At one stage you said:
   Why don't you have the flag just driving your original two-line addition?

The patch I sent today is more or less the equivalent of that two-line
addition, but removes some ugliness. It's a few more lines, but not
many. So that suggestion of mine above to make it work just in the
pretty print case was actually intended to be responsive to your
previous suggestion.

cheers

andrew