Database performance post-VACUUM FULL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl Wright
Subject Database performance post-VACUUM FULL
Date
Re: Database performance post-VACUUM FULL
List pgsql-performance
Hi all,

We're using Postgresql 8.3.7 on Debian.  We are seeing a very strange performance situation with our application which
Iam
hoping that someone can shed light on.

Our tests find that our application runs quite well on 8.3.7 initially.  The test consists of database creation
followedby 30
cycles of creation and removal of approximately 1,000,000 rows (across all tables) per cycle.  However, when database
maintenance takes place (which consists of a VACUUM FULL operation, and some table REINDEX operations), subsequent
cycle
performance is more than 2x worse.  What's more, after one VACUUM FULL operation has been done on the database, no
subsequent
VACUUM FULL operations *ever* seem to restore it to proper performance levels.

We used the same general maintenance procedure with 8.2 and found that it worked as expected, so we were quite
surprisedto
discover this problem with 8.3.7.  Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks,
Karl

--
Karl Wright
Software Engineer

MetaCarta, Inc.
350 Massachusetts Avenue, 4th Floor, Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

(617)-301-5511

www.metacarta.com <http://www.metacarta.com>
Where to find it.

This message may contain privileged, proprietary, and otherwise private
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately.