Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] Can not create more than 32766 databases in ufs file system.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> So the question I would ask goes more like "do you really need 32K
> databases in one installation?  Have you considered using schemas
> instead?"  Databases are, by design, pretty heavyweight objects.

That's a fair question. OTOH, devising a scheme to get around it would
not be terribly difficult, would it? I can imagine a scheme where the
subdir for a database was lo/hi for some division of the database oid. I
guess it could make matters ugly for pg_migrator, though.

cheers

andrew