Re: Ragged CSV import - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Ragged CSV import
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> you mean some sort of filter mechanism?
>>

>> COPY .... FILTER function_name ( args) ... ?
>>

>> That might work. Then we could provide a couple builtin and people could
>> write others in C or PL/dujour.
>>

> Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, although exactly where the
> filter happens and what its arguments/results are is open to debate.

I have slept on it, and while this is a nice idea, I think your
suggestion that this would take about the same effort as what I had in
mind (which I could just about have coded by now) is out by at least an
order of magnitude. I think it would eat up all my available time
between now and Nov 15, and I'm not prepared to spend my time budget
that way.

I will talk to the requestor and see if we can do something along the
lines of Robert's suggestion using a plperlu function and a temp file,
which I think I could do within the original time budget.

Consider the suggestion withdrawn.

cheers

andrew