Re: Number of tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Ivanov
Subject Re: Number of tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Stark wrote:
> You may
> not expect to be need to run queries which combine multiple users'
> data now but you will eventually.

We store cross-user data in a separate schema, which solves all *our*
problems.

> This doesn't work so great when each user is going to be specifying
> their own custom schema on the fly

This works fine, at least we didn't encounter any issues with that.

> but that's not really what
> relational databases were designed for.

Sometimes you have to.. you know, unusual things to meet some specific
requirements, like independent user schemas. It's not a conventional web
app we run :-)

I'm not arguing this is a bit extremal approach, but if one is forced to
go this path, it's quite walkable ;-)

Mike