Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Boszormenyi Zoltan
Subject Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane írta:
> Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Actually it always bothered me that we don't have implicit casts from
>> integer->boolean. I can't see any ambiguity or unintentional effects
>> this would cause problems with. Am I missing something?
>>

> Personally, as an old Pascal-lover, I always thought that C's failure
> to distinguish between int and boolean was the single biggest design
> mistake in the language.

On the other hand, the first two programming languages I have learnt
was Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC and Z80 assembly,
I welcomed C being so near to assembly... :-)

>   I'm very glad that SQL doesn't make that
> mistake, and I don't want to go against the standard to introduce it.

In that we agree. SQL is not C.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/