Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Perhaps some more formalised beta program would be useful. I have
> at least one client who could probably be persuaded to devote some
> resources to Beta testing. Maybe we need a Beta Program co-ordinator
> or some such animal. I suspect that plenty of possible beta testers
> don't even know when we go beta.
In some shops it would be necessary to have a date set months in
advance of the start of the beta to have any chance of getting
managers to assign hardware and staff for a really good test.  I
usually have to work in tests on my own time on whatever hardware
happens to be in standby status, when I can get it.  Hitting such a
date would seem to require a significant change from prior releases;
although the just-completed commit-fest could be taken as evidence
that such a thing is possible.
-Kevin