Re: Alpha releases: How to tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Alpha releases: How to tag
Date
List pgsql-hackers
daveg <daveg@sonic.net> wrote:
> When I was at Sybase, changes to the on disk structure were required
> to provide code to do the migration. Nonetheless, at release time,
> the migrate process was almost always discovered to be broken,
> sometimes even before it was shipped to customers.
As a long-time user of Sybase SQL Server and it's later incarnation as
Adaptive Server Enterprise, I can confirm that the result of this
approach was often unsatisfactory from a user perspective.  That is,
the discovery was not always made before shipping to customers.  :-(
I have high hopes for pg_migrator, but the pg_dump | psql approach has
always worked well for us -- no surprises and no pain beyond the
resource management issues.
-Kevin